New State of the Art Indoor Track Officially Opens at Indiana State Fairgrounds
The Indiana State Fairgrounds have just given us another reason to make the trek to Indianapolis, but it won't be for cattle, concerts, corndogs, or carousels. Instead, you'll visit the fairgrounds to see some of the fastest athletes in the Hoosier state.
Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb was front and center, with a giant pair of scissors, at the recent ribbon-cutting ceremony for the all-new indoor track located inside the Indiana Farm Bureau Fall Creek Pavilion.
The portable track, designed and built by Beynon Sports and Weems Engineering, features a 200-meter track surface as well as an infield for various track events. Here are the details.
The Competition Oval
- 6 lanes
- 12-degree banking in the turns
- 21-meter radius
- Elevated 18 inches off the ground in the straightaways and nearly 6 feet in the turns.
- 8-lane flat track for the sprinters and hurdlers
- 2 high jump areas
- 2 long jump/triple jump runways
- 1 pole vault runway
Upcoming Track & Field Events
Indiana State Fairgrounds officials aren't wasting any time in putting the new track to good use. They have partnered with multiple institutions to host a series of track meets over the coming weeks.
- IUPUI Invitational on January 26th and 27th
- USA Track and Field Combined Events Indoor Championships on January 27th and 28th
- Marian Invitational on February 9th.
Bucket List Things to do in Indianapolis
Gallery Credit: Jacob Calloway
Life's A Beach At This Giant Indoor Ocean Playground In Indianapolis
Gallery Credit: Travis Sams
10 Things You Should Know about the Indianapolis 500
Gallery Credit: Ross Cooper