These are the 10 Most Popular Pie Flavors in Indiana
Each year, on January 23rd, America celebrates the pie - we're talking about the sweet and sometimes savory baked dish that we all know and love. Our affection towards pie is strong here in the Hoosier state - from the juicy sweetness of summertime berries to the cozy comfort of a warm apple slice, these pastry pockets hold a special place in the hearts (and stomachs) of Indiana residents. But what kind of pie is our favorite?
The folks at Betway did the leg work and looked at average monthly Google Trends data to determine the 10 most popular pie flavors in Indiana, and here are the results.
- Sugar Cream Pie: Fun fact - this creamy, custardy treat is the official state pie for Indiana. While I probably wouldn't have it anywhere on my top 10, I can certainly understand it being at the top of this list.
- Cherry Pie: I expected this sweet and tangy dessert to be at the top of the list, but I reckon 2nd place is pretty good too.
- Pumpkin Pie: This classic Thanksgiving dessert is a must-have on every Hoosier table (except for mine). I feel like I am in the minority when it comes to my dislike of pumpkin pie.
- Apple Pie: Does it get any more American than apple pie?
- Lemon Meringue Pie: I love, love, love lemon-flavored treats, but I could do without the meringue.
- Pecan Pie: In my humble opinion, this is the superior Thanksgiving pie. The combination of pecans, sugar, and butter is simply irresistible.
- Peach Cobbler: I'm not trying to be a stickler here, but cobbler isn't pie, right? Shouldn't this be on a different list of favorite Hoosier desserts?
- Key Lime Pie: If you're a fan of tart treats, then key lime pie is definitely on your list. Mine too!
- Sweet Potato Pie: Confession time - I have never tried sweet potato pie. I believe it is similar to pumpkin, which I am not a fan of, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
- Blueberry Pie: My brain conjures up a memorable scene from the 1986 movie Stand By Me whenever I think of blueberry pie. If you know, you know. If you don't know, just Google it. You're welcome.
Do you agree with the list? There are some notable omissions, in my opinion. No chocolate? No coconut cream? No strawberry?
10 Comfort Foods Hoosiers Need and Where to Find Them in Southern Indiana
Gallery Credit: Liberty
38 Celebrities Who Were Born in Indiana
Gallery Credit: Bobby G.